Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Skate or die(ning room)

Street art and skateboarding have always been things I've drawn personal inspiration from, particularly in terms of the clothes I've worn, the art I like and more recently, the way I decorate my home.

Although I've seen glimpses of other people also drawing an skateboard culture in decorating their homes some ways - perhaps a display of skateboards hung on the way, a photograph or maybe a framed graphic poster - I've always wondered if this could possibly be a living design style in it's own right, or was it just something that I tried to push through into every part of my house?

Then a while back I saw an episode of MTV Cribs featuring the wonderful house of my favorite skater Rob Dyrdek (a house I'd seen many times on his TV show Rob & Big). Seeing his house in detail, I began to suspect I wasn't the only person who was rocking a skateboard-inspired interior.

Recently I heard about a collaboration between Etnies shoes head honcho Pierre Andre Senizergues and skater/interior designer Gil Le Bon De Lapointe called 'Skate Study House'.

Drawing inspiration from the classic 1940s-1960s 'Case Study House' design projects (including living design by Ray & Charles Eames, Isamu Noguchi and many more), 'Skate Study House' recreates modern classic furniture design using skateboards.

The designs are as expensive as they are beautiful, leaving them out of reach for most. But they are inspiring, especially with the knowledge that this is a passion shared by other people...

But what I really what to know is... does Tony Hawk rock a Godfather Lounge Chair?


Above: Godfather Lounge Chair. Designed by Skate Study House.
Inspired by
the Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman (see below).



Above: The original Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman. Design by Eames.


Above: Tokyo Lounge Table. Designed by Skate Study House.
Inspired by
the Noguchi Table (see below).

Above: The original Noguchi Table. Design by Isamu Noguchi.

No comments:

Post a Comment