Monday, April 21, 2008

Sneak Peek: The Ivy



The question that seems to be on many a Sydney-siders lips over the past few weeks has been 'have you been to the Ivy?'. The Ivy being the huge new Merivale (think Establishment, Slip Inn, Tank) owned nightclub/complex on George Street in Sydney.

The only reason I was really interested in going was to see the unique interior decor the club is said to have. I can honestly say I haven't managed to get in yet - but after going to check it out on Saturday night and getting herded into the massive lineup outside, I didn't bother.

Thankfully, I have seen the interior thanks to these photos taken in daylight.

Although I am not a huge fan of the 'garden party' concept, there are some features I'm quite fond of - and some I am equally repulsed by.

One of the most repulsing features is undoubtably the huge yellow and white shower that hangs over the astroturf dancefloor in the 'Lawn' Bar. Apparently the shower is operated by a button in the DJ booth - turning the Lawn into a wet t-shirt contest at the flick of a button.

Althought the rich use of textures and materials is this nightclubs most redeeming feature, it seems sadly wasted on an interior that spends most of it's time being viewed in darkness or through beer googles. And perhaps for that very reason, the use of brightly coloured furniture is a stroke of genius - just like lights on a airplain runway, at least all the Saturday night wastoids will be able to see the where to sit more easily.

And although I am a fan of the 'Den' bar look - the rich black/Aqua combo, I think that throughout the rest of the venue there is far too much use of white for a place that is in constant need of cleaning. I hope they have a team of cleaners on hand throughout each night to scrub that place back to glittering white before they herd the next bunch of punters through the doors...
*end rant*

No comments:

Post a Comment