Thursday, July 2, 2009

Me + Patton + Prague = EPIC

I have had a ridonkulous crush on Mike Patton since I was in year 6 and Epic hit number 1. I was 11, he was 22. Yer, that fantasy about Mike being my first kiss was definitely gonna come true - NOT. Anyway, me and my friends used to sing Epic in the car, blissfully unaware of its' meaning. We thought we were so cool.

In year 7, one of my friends had an older brother who was a huge Faith No More (FNM) fan. So I'd sleepover at her place and we'd listen to FNM and play pool with her bro. We thought we were so cool.

Then in year 8, my friend and her family moved to Albury. One school holidays soon after, I went to visit my friend in Albury - which was right around the time FNM released 'Angel Dust', and my friend's bro got his license. FNM + new license + beat up car + country town = sick ass holiday. I distinctly remember cruising the streets of Albury, pumping FNM, then going out into a muddy paddock somewhere to do donuts whilst listening to Rodney Rude. We thought we were so cool.

Fast forward a few years, and I never got to see FNM play as FNM. Sure, I've seen Bungle and Fantomas etc, but I never got to see Roddy Bottum and Mike and the boys play together. I never went to that muddy drug fest at Eastern Creek known as Alternative Nations. And then they split and I thought it was game over.

Then late last year I began to hear rumours that FNM were planning a European comeback tour. Comeback tour win - Europe FAIL. Why does Australia always get left off the tour? And Mike Patton has always been such a strong advocate of touring down here. So once again, I was left thinking that I wouldn't get to see them play.

That was until this week, when I decided to cancel my trip to New York, and go to Europe instead. Then I discovered that FNM are playing in Prague the day after I arrive. So I figured it was only fair to set the pace for the entire trip by racing from Frankfurt to Prague in time to see FNM.

To say I'm excited is an understatement. I can't even begin to explain the joy I have at the thought of hearing FNM play live. I took a neek peek at the set lists for some of their recent concerts in London, and I was even more excited by the amazing set list...

1. Reunited (Peaches & Herb cover)
2. The Real Thing
3. From Out of Nowhere
4. Land of Sunshine
5. Caffeine
6. Evidence
7. Chinese Arithmetic
8. Surprise! You're Dead!
9. Easy
10. Last Cup of Sorrow
11. Midlife Crisis
12. Cuckoo for Caca
13. The Gentle Art of Making Enemies
14. RV
15. King for a Day
16. Malpractice
17. Jizzlobber
18. Be Aggressive
19. Epic
20. Mark Bowen

Encore:
21. Chariots Of Fire/Stripsearch
22. Just a Man

Encore 2:
23. I Started a Joke
24. Pristina

No comments:

Post a Comment