Sunday, November 15, 2009

New York: Brooklyn Dubstep Represent!

It turns out Brooklyn has a roaring little dubstep scene, thanks to Dave Gee and his parties, including Darkroom at COCO66.
At first I was a little apprehensive about going out to Greenpoint Ave after 11pm all on my lonesome. I was toying with the idea of staying in and watching TV in bed (I'm still struggling with a cold). But it turned out to be well worth it to make the (relatively) short trip on the L Train across to Brooklyn.
There was a dedicated crew of dubstep lovers at the gig, as well as loads of peeps who literally had no idea what dubstep was. There were all sorts, from the hardcore down the front who knew all the tunes and showed off their crazy-legged dance steez, to the nervous dude at the back who asked me to show him house to dance to this music.And there was no doubting the dedication of Dave Gee and the Methods NYC crew - they love what they do and it showed. MC Diggadee was hilarious (girls sending midnight text - what?!) both lyrically and physically - you gotta love an MC who oscillates wildly while on the mike.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is that I have to go home on Tuesday, and won't get to come back in two weeks time... Awesome night!

Check out Dave Gee's store Methods NYC. They have a womens t shirt collab with Toofly!

1 comment: