Monday, August 3, 2009

Art, Sneaks & Bad Ass Beats

It's official - I'm counting down the days until I leave on a journey that's about as close to a religious experience as I'll ever get. Perhaps it's even a pilgrimage of sorts. I'm sure I'll return enlightened, but I doubt my suitcases (or credit cards) will.

After a ridonkulously hectic 12 months, I'm rewarding myself with a 2 month mission in search of the best art, sneakers and music I can find across the globe. I need a holiday in the worst possible way - and I intend to make the most of it. Here's the low down...

Art
After exploring the street art of Prague, I'll be hanging out in Berlin for a week or two. Then I'm heading straight to Bristol to catch the last days of Banksy vs Bristol Museum.
Then I'm off to London where I intend find myself an Insa print and go back to the Tate Modern (I went there back in 2001 not long after it opened) for some modern cultural stuff.
Next up, I'm finally hitting Hotel Fox in Copenhagen. I've been jonesing so hard to visit this hotel. When it first opened about 5 years ago, I was completely smitten by the place. It has 61 completely individual rooms designed by 21 designers, including Aussie collective Rinzen.
Then I'm heading for the Netherlands where I'll be on the hunt for van Gogh, Escher and graf. This time I'll definitely be hitting the Escher Museum in the Hague.
Then I'm heading to Spain, where I plan to visit Dali's House. I'm a huge Dali fan and I have wanted to visit his house and studio for years - last time I was in Europe I wanted to go, but just never got there. I've been to Dali exhibitions all over the world, but now I want to visit his studio.
I'd also love to hit the Gaudi house in Spain. I'm sure there's a bunch more shows and stuff I'll hit while I'm there but these are the things I'm going to make sure I get done!


Sneaks
Here's the lineup of sneaker joints I intend to hit while I'm away...

Germany
Footlocker
Kickback
Niketown
Overkill
Selected
Snea-Q
Snika
Solebox

UK
Angry Dave's
Niketown
Size?

Netherlands
90sqm
Concrete
No Boys Allowed
Patta
Urban Unit

Spain
24kts
Munich
Trust Nobody

Japan
I'll be doing over all th spots I hit in Tokyo last time, but this time I'll also be hitting Osaka. All in all it's a pretty crazy itinerary of sneaker shops - and that's not even beginning to go through all the other fashion spots I intend to hit. Hello Top Shop London!

Beats
First up (and I don't know if this can really be considered beats but I'm throwing it in anyway) I'll be going to see Faith Now More in Prague. I'm fairly sure tears will be shed. I posted the set list they are playing a few weeks back and it is epic (pardon the pun).
Next up I'm hitting Ikon in Berlin to see Rusko play. I seriously can not wait to see this fabulous daywalker play again. His sets are inspired.
In London, I'll be heading straight to Night Slugs, a monthly club night run by Bok Bok and L-Vis 1990. These guys are pushing the new sound of 4/4 bass heavy house and beats and I seriously can't wait to see what they can do.
I'm also going to check out Yo Yo, a weekly London Thursday night that features guest djs like Mark Ronson, Sinden Skream on a weekly basis.
Then on the Friday night (if I'm not nursing a hangover so large I can't get there) I'll be heading out to Fabric Live at Fabric for a spot of Drum n Bass. Unfortunately Fabric hasn't released a lineup for the dates I'll be there, but if their recent lineups are anything to go by, I don't think I'm going to be disappointed.
I haven't really planned much further than that music wise mostly because set lists have been posted that far ahead. I might hit Get Loaded in London to see Crookers. And I'm sure there'll be heaps of mad stuff to see and do in Netherlands, Spain and Japan - especially in Ibiza for the closing parties.

2 weeks and counting! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment