Saturday, August 8, 2009

R.I.P. John Hughes

Such sad news today - Director John Hughes has died at just 59 years old. Hughes was a genius and his brilliant ideas will be missed. He has always been one of my favourite Writers/Directors and I'm devestated there'll be no more Hughes magic.

I spent much of my pre-adolesence and adolesence living vicarilously through his wonderful movies - especially Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Not to mention listening to the amazing music he used in his soundtracks (I have a permanent playlist on my iPhone of my favourite songs from his films). Here are my favourites of Hughes' work as a Director, Writer and Producer:
Sixteen Candles (1984) with the gorgeous Molly Ringwald. As if she wasn't the girl that we all wanted to be. And the soundtrack is killer, including Rebel Yell by Billy Idol...

The Breakfast Club (1995) This was always such a classic for me. Molly, Emilio, Phoebe and of course, Judd. God Judd Nelson was hot. And you can't fault the soundtrack, which includes the outstanding Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Minds.
Weird Science (1985) Possibly every nerdy teenage boys fantasy - to make the perfect women, who happens to be Kelly LeBrock.
Pretty in Pink (1986) "A girl from the wrong side of the tracks, a geeky new-waver who worships her and a rich High School Hunk who has her eye". Her prom dress is inspired. The soundtrack is epic - If You Leave by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Pretty in Pink by The Psychedelic Furs, Wouldn't It Be Good by Danny Hutton Hitters and my favourite, Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) Easily my favourite John Hughes film. I watched this flick every other day for years and years. Soundtrack genius - The Dream Academy, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, The Smiths, Yello and the Beatles.
Some Kind of Wonderful (1987) Another teen angst gem. Eric Stolz pre-Pulp Fiction drug dealer. Zexy.
Uncle Buck (1989) Buck Melonoma. Moley Russells wart. Gold. Plus anther killer soundtrack including Wild Thing by Tone Loc. Need I say more?
Home Alone (1990) The movie that broke Mac Culkin. I saw this at the movies and I laughed until I cried. Especially the bit where he sets all the traps for the crooks and they get fucked up.

Mr Hughes, your magic will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment