Monday, August 31, 2009

London: Premium Nike ID

Someone slept in my bed last night, and it wasn't me. I had to take a different bed, which meant my bed didn't get made up this morning. I fucking hate hostels. I'm never staying in one again.

But for now, I'm making the most of what I have (because I can't get a refund). There's only one thing that will fix this problem - shopping.

Walked to Oxford Circus. Visited all the usual suspects - Topshop, H&M, Urban Outfitters (fuck you for not stocking Nylon x Nike), Carnaby Street, Covent Gardens etc. Found myself at Niketown. They have Nike ID, but they also have premium Nike ID. What's that you say? Well, it means you get to choose from special materials to design your IDs. So what else could I do but book myself in for some sweet custom kicks?

While I was there a young fellow came up and grabbed my arm. He was quite intent on having a good look at my tattoos. I'm not used to being grabbed. I liked it.

Went to Ping Pong for lunch. Ping Pong is a dim sum concept restaurant near Carnaby Street. I had an apple and sage cooler, and a selection of hand made dim sum, followed by mango pudding. Quite delicious.
I was very restrained today. I saw many items I would have liked to purchase, including 2 really cute skirts - but I didn't. Maybe it's because I was was soon to be going to Nike ID. I went back to Niketown and wandered around a bit. I went and had a look in the pleb Nike ID (the Nike ID everyone gets) and the guy who'd grabbed my arm earlier was behind the counter. How dumb am I? He works there. We had a little chat and he sent me upstairs to Premium Nike ID, and told me he'd ring ahead and get them to let me sit in the studio. When I got up there, I took some sneaky photos.
I sat down on a lounge and they gave me a beer. Boozing and designing custom kicks. I mean really, could this day get better? Apparently it could. The studio is filled with amazing Nike artifacts - like original sketches of Huarache designs and Dunks painted by London's best artists, including INSA.

Then the dude from downstairs rocks up again. Turns out he's my personal Nike ID designer. His name is Q and I have to say I'm quite intrigued. I decided I'd go with Dunks because I saw a really cute girl last night wearing dunks and it reminded me that I need to wear hi tops more again. I admit I've been going through a serious low cut phase, but it's time I got back to my roots. I'd show you a picture of what they look like, but I don't have one yet. They have to be made especially for me :)

Anyway... it was defs a fun afternoon hanging out with Q in the studio, drinking beer and making shoes. Can't wait to pick those babies up in a few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment